Asbestos Removal: Protecting Your Family's Health
Asbestos is a hazardous material that was once widely used in construction and insulation. Its fibres are incredibly strong and heat-resistant, making it a useful material for many purposes. Unfortunately, asbestos is also known to cause serious health problems, including lung cancer and mesothelioma. For this reason, removing asbestos from your home or workplace as soon as possible is important to ensure that no lingering side effects occur down the track. However, you should never try to remove asbestos on your own, there are professional asbestos removal companies that you need to contact if you think your home or business might have this dangerous fibre inside it, and here are a few reasons why.
It has to be noted whenever discussing asbestos that this fibre is not merely something that has the potential to cause harm, it is virtually certain that if you do not do something about it and the asbestos is in a popular area of your home, then it will have serious consequences for your health. Exposure to asbestos fibres can cause a number of serious health problems, including lung cancer and mesothelioma. In addition, exposure to asbestos can also cause asbestosis, which is a chronic lung disease that can be disabling and life-threatening. For a young family or one with children, this is never something to take lightly.
How Do You Find It?
To protect your family you first need to know where the issue actually lies. With asbestos, it can be found in almost every part of your home, especially if it was built in the 1980s or before (and all the way up to the mid-1990s). It is found in everything from your insulation in the walls and ceiling to flooring tiles, meaning it could potentially be surrounding you when you are in any room of your home. The only way to know for certain whether you have asbestos is to get your home inspected by a professional.
While it can be quite an arduous process to remove asbestos from inside your home due to how carefully you have to do it, it is one hundred per cent worth it. As shown above, asbestos is never something to take lightly, especially in a family home. You will possibly need to stay at another place during this removal process so that if any fibres are disturbed and fly into the air you will not be exposed to them, and the workers that are will all be wearing protective face masks. Every last inch of material containing asbestos will be taken away and then, before you move back in, you should organize a replacement for your insulation or flooring (or whatever else had asbestos in it) so that they can be installed quickly and easily with no one around.