Building a Business Brick by Brick

Common Indications of Electrical Wiring Problems in Your House

Malfunctions emanating from electrical connections can be devastating. The risks range from electrical shock to the people in the house to fire outbreaks that are hard to control let alone put out. After an electrical connection has been made, it is your duty to ensure that the connections and the appliances stay in good condition to minimise any risks. The best way to do this is by keeping an eye on the warning signs of any wiring problems. That way, the problems will be addressed in good time before any disaster occurs. This discussion outlines some of the signs you must look out for with respect to the electrical wiring in your home:  

Flickering and Dimming Lights

The bulbs and fluorescent tubes in your home are one of the easiest ways to tell if there is a problem with the wiring in the house. Lighting fixtures often draw the least amount of power from compared to other appliances such as cookers. Therefore, flickering is often a problem with the wiring rather than the lighting fixture itself. On the contrary, it is the bigger power hogs on the same circuit as the lighting fixtures, which make the lights to flicker whenever they draw power for an alternative use. If you notice flickering of lights, especially when multiple appliances are running, you should call in an electrician to move the light to another circuit. Another option is to set up dedicated lines for the major power hungry appliances.

Multiple Extension Cords

Multiple extension cords are an indication that your wiring system has few power outlets for connecting appliances. Besides aesthetics, electrical cables are hidden within walls and roof structures to minimise disturbance and accidents. Multiple extension cords create more points where the circuit can pinch, short or trip. Instead of using multiple extensions, you would rather call in a professional to add more socket outlets to the circuit. They are much safer than ordinary extension cords.

Unfamiliar Odours

Heat is one of the forms of energy often given off from a faulty wiring connection. Some cables may spark while others just generate heat silently and burn the cabling material and the insulation coating. The burn generates a peculiar, irritating odour that indicates something is wrong right away. Anytime you notice a pungent smell coming from one of the sockets and other outlets, disconnect any appliance from that power source and don't use it again until a professional has checked it.